Foundations for Student Success First Year Experience Program Application
The First Year Experience (FYE) is a year-long college program focused on providing first-year students with the services and support needed to successfully transition to Mesa Community College.
In order to apply, you must be a recent graduate from a Mesa Public School. In addition, you must meet other criteria such as being a first-generation college student and/or placing into foundational coursework.
FOR STUDENTS PLANNING TO ATTEND THE SUMMER PROGRAM:
Students will be required to participate in the program during the following dates:
- Summer Semester begins on July 5, 2022 and ends on August 4, 2022
- Fall Semester begins on August 20, 2022 (program courses in the fall include ENG 101, math and a variety of electives)
- Students will participate in monthly workshops and activities
- Student Orientation is June 28, 2022
FOR STUDENTS PLANNING TO START IN THE FALL:
Students will be required to participate in summer activities:
- Math Boot Camp AND/OR Reading/Writing Boot Camp
- Student Orientation is the week of August 8, 2022
- First Year Experience students select and enroll in at least one college course that is taught and supported by an FYE instructor. Courses include English, Biology, Psychology or Sociology.
- Receive a scholarship for tuition and/or books for one college class in Summer 2022 (Summer Program participants only) and/or Fall 2022 with the chance to earn a spring scholarship
- Brush up on your math, reading, and writing skills with free boot camps over the summer
- Establish a strong network with your college peers & receive ongoing support from faculty & staff
- Assistance with major and career exploration and the university transfer process
- Financial Aid navigation and individualized support
- Learn habits of successful college students through workshops and social activities throughout the school year
Note: A high school transcript (official or unofficial) with a cumulative, unweighted GPA must be submitted to Mesa Community College at the time of application or before applying for the First Year Experience. You will be asked to provide the name of your MPS-MCC Advisor on this application to have this transcript submitted on your behalf.
Please note that in order to apply for this scholarship that you must be attending Mesa Community College AND a recent graduate of Mesa Public Schools (any of the MPS high schools).