Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation Emergency Student Assistance
CLOSED for the Fall 20 semester: The Spring 2021 semester emergency assistance fund application will open on January 25, 2021.
The Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation Emergency Student Assistance fund was created to assist currently enrolled Maricopa Community College students with a short-term, unforeseen financial hardship or immediate expense that may impact their academic success.
Types of Expenses Covered: (current semester expenses only)
- Required books
- Bus Pass
- Car repair
- School supplies
To be eligible, students must:
- Be in good standing with the College (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Be enrolled in a minimum of three credit hours or in a clock hour program at any Maricopa Community College
- Obtain a recommendation from a Maricopa Community College faculty/staff member who is aware of and can comment on the student’s need for emergency assistance (recommending faculty/staff member cannot be related to the student)
- Documentation associated with the emergency must be attached to the application (i.e., current utility bill, required book list, auto repair bill, etc.)
- Complete and submit the online Emergency Assistance Fund Application
How long will it take to get the money?
Applications are reviewed daily during regular business hours: 8 am – 5 pm. Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays. We are processing applications as quickly as possible; however, the timeline is contingent on the student attaching the correct documentation and the responsiveness of the recommending faculty/staff member.
Decisions will be communicated to students via their student Gmail account (@maricopa.edu) and could take up to five business days. Monies are most commonly disbursed in the form of e-gift cards. E-cards are matched to the request based on current supply. There is no option for choosing the type of gift card you will receive. Funds are not directly deposited into students’ accounts.
How much can I receive?
Students may receive up to $200 through the emergency assistance fund. Requests cannot be used to pay off previous debts, tuition, or rent. Funding does not have to be paid back.
Students are permitted only one emergency funding request in their academic career. Students are eligible to reapply if their application was denied in a previous cycle.
Are there additional sources of funding?
Individual Colleges may have emergency funds available. Please check with your Financial Aid Office for more information. Please also visit https://www.maricopa.edu/community-business/basic-needs.
Please note: Submission of the application does not guarantee funding. Funds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
When will the application open and close for the 2020/2021 academic year?
Fall 2020: 8/31/2020 – 12/13/2020
Spring 2021: 1/25/2021 – 5/14/2021
Or until funds have been exhausted