Foundations for Student Success First Year Experience Program Application Academic Year 2020-2021
The First Year Experience (FYE) is a year-long college program focused on providing first-year students with the services and support needed to successfully transition to Mesa Community College.
In order to apply, you must be a recent graduate from a Mesa Public School. In addition, you must meet other criteria such as being a first-generation college student and/or placing into foundational coursework.
FOR STUDENTS PLANNING TO ATTEND THE MCC – SOUTHERN & DOBSON CAMPUS:
Students will be required to participate in the program during the following dates:
- Fall Semester begins on August 24, 2020 (program courses in the fall include ENG 101 and a variety of electives)
- Students will participate in monthly workshops and activities
FOR STUDENTS PLANNING TO ATTEND THE MCC – RED MOUNTAIN CAMPUS:
_Students will be required to participate during the following dates:
- Parent Night on July 22, 2020
- Math Boot Camp from July 27-30, 2020 AND/OR Reading/Writing Boot Camp from August 3-6, 2020
- Student Orientation August 12 and 13, 2020
- First Year Experience students select and enroll in at least one college course that is taught and supported by an FYE instructor. In the past, courses that students have selected from include English, Communication, Art, Psychology or Sociology.
- Receive a scholarship for one college class in Fall 2020 with chance to earn a spring scholarship
- Brush up on your math, reading, and writing skills with free boot camps over the summer
- Establish a strong network with your college peers & receive ongoing support from faculty & staff
- Assistance with major and career exploration and the university transfer process
- Financial Aid navigation and individualized support
- Learn habits of successful college students through workshops and social activities throughout the school year
Note: A high school transcript (official or unofficial) with a cumulative, unweighted GPA must be submitted to Mesa Community College at the time of application or before applying for the First Year Experience. You will be asked to provide the name and email of your MPS-MCC Advisor on this application to have this transcript submitted on your behalf.