Rio Salado College Opening Doors Scholarship
Are you interested in mentoring young students while also receiving a $500.00 scholarship?
If you can be a positive mentor for middle-school youth and volunteer approximately 35-40 hours of your time this coming year (August 2019 – May 2020), please review the requirements below.
PLEASE NOTE: To be eligible for this scholarship you will need to take three credits or more at Rio Salado College during BOTH the Fall 2019 term and the Spring 2020 term.
- Make a nine-month commitment for one Saturday per month (8:30-1:30/2:00) during which you will take part in mentor-mentee activities. The commitment will begin in August 2019.
- Participate in a volunteer training orientation.
- Pass a background check with fingerprint clearance if necessary.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher from college courses taken within the past five years AND plan to take three credits or more at Rio Salado during both the fall and spring 2019-20 terms. Students who are native Spanish speakers or have some fluency with Spanish are encouraged to apply.
- Preference may be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
- Have reliable transportation.
- As needed and if requested, provide the following:
Transcripts from a previous/current high school, college or university and,
A minimum of one recommendation from an instructor, advisor, mentor, or other non-family member who knows you well.
If you can meet the above requirements, this scholarship opportunity is for you. The application closes on Sunday, June 16, 2019.
The mentoring activities will take part through the Be a Leader Foundation. For more information on this foundation, please see http://www.bealeaderfoundation.org. For scholarship questions, contact the Office of Student Life at Rio Salado — 480-517-8050 or StudentLife@riosalado.edu.